Two more delicious camp recipes from Chef KylaAugust 5, 2015
Our chefs work really hard to create meals that our campers and counselors will love. As you can imagine, we have many different types of eaters, including carnivores, vegetarians, kids who prefer sandwiches, those who need to eat gluten free, egg free or dairy free, those who live on pasta, and of course, our picky kids who really prefer to only eat chicken fingers whenever possible. Thankfully, our team of 5 talented chefs (and one amazing baker) find ways to make delicious camp food for everyone, and our campers and counselors tell us that they love our meals!
Last week I posted one of Chef Kyla’s most popular farm-to-table vegetarian meals (using many ingredients grown in our gardens!). Then I posted the photo above of another delicious vegetarian side dish that she recently made for our summer camp in NH. I immediately received email requests from parents asking for the recipe to this dish. I am very happy to share with you how she made it!
Chef Kyla’s Delicious Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad
- 2 lbs of sweet potatoes- medium dice, rubbed in olive oil and salt and baked for 20 minutes
- 2 cups of cooked and drained black beans
- Cilantro pesto (6 garlic cloves, 3 handfulls of de-stemmed cilantro, 1/2 c olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt)
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 pint of perfectly ripe sungold tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Kyla added this note: Mix everything together & enjoy! may be served warm or cold depending on how hot your summer day is!
So in last night’s blog I posted a photo of another amazing vegetarian, gluten free meal that Kyla made, and she’s happy to share that recipe with you, too!
- 2 lbs of Brussels sprouts, base cut off and halved
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 2 t salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bunches of chard/kale/beet greens, cleaned and roughly chopped
- Rub Brussels sprouts in 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and half of the minced garlic. Spread in a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- In a large pan sauté remaining garlic, salt and olive oil until aromatic. Add the greens and stir until barely wilted.
- Mix the Brussels sprouts and greens together and enjoy!
This evening at dinner Chef Kyla served these incredible gluten free chocolate chip whoopie pies. If you would like the recipe please send me an email. She is more than happy to share!